A the start of the day we go through scythe set up. Everyone sets up a scythe, with a blade suited to the type of mowing you plan to do at home. After a run through of basic mowing and sharpening techniques it’s time to get out to the field to have a go at mowing in earnest!.
After lunch we cover the all important job of keeping your blade sharp and cutting well, including the art of peening.
All equipment is provided. At the end of the day, participants can choose to buy the scythe they have been using, including a blade that has been peened and is ready to mow. A full Scythe Shop is also available.
“Thanks again for a well taught and comprehensive introduction to scything. I thought it was well structured and delivered convenient bite size information whilst having space for all the added questions.” Sonya, W-S-M, 2017 course graduate
Course places are reserved once full payment has been received.
- In the unlikely event that the minimum number of participants has not been met within 2 weeks of the start date, courses may be canceled or rescheduled.
- Where a course is fully booked we can accept further names in case of a cancellation.
Cancellations: If you need to cancel your place, please contact us as soon as possible.
- For cancellations more than 4 weeks before the course date we offer a full refund or the opportunity to transfer to another course date, minus £10 to cover our administration costs.
- For cancellations within 4 weeks of the course date no refund or transfer is offered, unless we are able to fill the place or if special circumstances apply. We reserve the right to decide whether the latter applies.
Start times: Times listed are the actual time the course begins. Please arrive 15-30 min before the stated time if you would like a hot drink beforehand.
Course details and directions: Details of what you will need to bring and directions to the Trust will be emailed to you after booking.
Ages: All courses are suitable for participants aged 16+.
- Camping at Dyfed Permaculture Farm Trust.
- Cilwendeg House in Waungilwen. Bed and Breakfast or self catering (2 miles away)
- Bwthyn Gwyrdd self catering cabin (less then 1 mile on foot, 2 miles by car)
- The Ceridwen Centre in Drefelin. Bed and Breakfast or self catering (2 miles away)
- Melin Pandy Bed and Breakfast in Newcastle Emlyn (5 miles away)