will include setting up and using a peening station, peening with a jig, free-hand peening and blade repair. There will be plenty of time to work on your own blade and get it into top mowing condition with help on hand.
Perhaps you haven’t managed to get a jig out yet and have a go?
Come along to the workshop and give your blade it’s first peen with help on hand. If you have been using your blade heavily but haven’t peened it yet there may be a fair amount of work to do to get it back into tip top condition – we’ll have our peening machine out to make the job easier.
“Thank you for helping arrange the course today, it was choc full of scything information.”
Jake, SW Wales, 2015 course graduate
If you have already have had a go, congratulations!
The workshop can help you improve your skills to get a sharper, longer lasting edge. We can also look at how to repair nicks in the blade edge or take the step from jig peening to freehand peening on an anvil.
This course is a useful addition to the peening taught on the Introductory course, or for the more experienced mower who would like to take their blade care to a higher level.
Peening equipment will be provided, although you are also encouraged to bring your own. Bring your own blade, practice blades will also be available. There will be an opportunity to purchase further scythe and peening equipment.
Course places are reserved once full payment has been received.
- In the unlikely event that the minimum number of participants has not been met within 2 weeks of the start date, courses may be canceled or rescheduled.
- If you book onto a course that subsequently has to be cancelled, we will offer you the chance to transfer to another course (space permitting) or give you a full refund.
- Where a course is fully booked we can accept further names in case of a cancellation.
- For cancellations more than 4 weeks before the course date we offer a full refund or the opportunity to transfer to another course date, minus £10 to cover our administration costs.
- For cancellations within 4 weeks of the course date no refund or transfer is offered, unless we are able to fill the place or if special circumstances apply. We reserve the right to decide whether the latter applies.
- Camping at Dyfed Permaculture Farm Trust.
- Cilwendeg House in Waungilwen. Bed and Breakfast or self catering (2 miles away)
- Bwthyn Gwyrdd self catering cabin (less then 1 mile on foot, 2 miles by car)
- The Ceridwen Centre in Drefelin. Bed and Breakfast or self catering (2 miles away)
- Melin Pandy Bed and Breakfast in Newcastle Emlyn (5 miles away)