Learn to get your blades sharper and to scythe expertly on the
Scythe Improvers Course
a two day course for:
- mowers with some experience who want to develop their skills
- team leaders managing volunteers or staff
- people who want to teach scythe use to others.
Muchelney, Langport, Somerset
Friday 9th and Saturday 10th June 2023
Over two days, you will get personal attention from three of the most experienced teachers in the UK, namely:
- Phil Batten master peener and scythe competition winner from Scythe Cymru;
- Andi Ricard, of the Somerset Scythe School, currently UK champion mower.
- Kevin Austin scythe teacher from Cornwall, and former UK champion mower.
The course covers:
- improving the set up of the scythe
- improving mowing stance and style
- sharpening, peening and repairing blades
- organizing volunteers and novices
Learn to get your blade sharper and to scythe expertly!
The course fee includes lunch on both days and a free ticket for the fair on Sunday. Camping on site is available at extra cost.
Nicole Clough of Bucks Berks and Oxon Wildlife Trust who did this course writes:
I came away with a far deeper understanding of the scythe and my technique, as well as the tools and course structure to teach others in a safe and efficient manner. It has revolutionized our team at BBOWT, and we now use scythes for a great many of our tasks. As a result our management is more wildlife sensitive and volunteer friendly. A number of my colleagues have now also done the course. This has enabled us to train in the region of 50 staff and volunteers across our three counties in just 2 years. Great for wildlife, great for people.